“Purpo” alla Luciana. From Campania. A nice way to cook a large octopus. Very simple, but delicious. The octopus ends up very tender and the liquid it produces makes a very tasty sauce. Serves 3-4
- 1 Octopus weighing about 1kg – cleaned and tenderised.
- 1/2 glass olive oil
- Parsley – chopped
- 1 clove of garlic – chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the eyes and beak from the octopus.
- Place the octopus in a (preferably) terracotta pot. The pot should be just larger than the octopus so it’s a reasonably tight fit.
- Add the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Go easy on the salt though.
- Cover the pot with aluminium foil or grease proof paper and tie as tightly as possible with kitchen string. Cover with a lid.
- Cook over a very low heat for two hours. Shake the pot from time to time to prevent sticking.
- Remove the foil, add the garlic and parsley, and cook for another few minutes.
- Serve hot or leave to cool in the cooking liquid and serve cold as an antipasto.