Bavette alle vongole e zucchine. This is a nice alternative to the standard spaghetti alle vongole recipe. Serves 4.
- 320g bavette
- 800g clams
- 1 shallot – finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic – peeled, whole
- 1 chilli (fresh or dried) or to taste
- 300g courgettes – cut into match sticks
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 100ml dry white wine
- 200g tomatoes – peeled and diced
- Open the clams by putting them in a dry pan over a high heat for about 5 minutes. Reserve any liquid that is produced.
- Remove the clams from their shells and put aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and cook the shallot, chilli and garlic clove until softened.
- Remove and discard the garlic.
- Add the clams, courgettes and parsley and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the wine and the liquid from the clams and allow to reduce for a while.
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt and cook until the sauce thickens – about 20-30 minutes.
- Cook the bavette until al dente, drain and add to the pan with the sauce and mix well.