I was reminded of this recipe by a recipe by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall in last Thursday’s International Guardian.
I used my own homemade chilli oil. To make it add some dried chillis to a bottle of olive oil and leave it for a couple of weeks. If you can’t wait for 2 weeks, use fresh chilli or chilli flakes.
If you want to know how to butterfly squid or cuttlefish, check out Hugh’s article here. Or watch this video
- 2 medium cuttlefish (or squid) — cleaned and butterflied
- chilli oil
- 1 large clove garlic — finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Chop off the tentacles and butterfly the cuttlefish
- Divide each set of tentacles into 2
- Season the cuttlefish with the garlic, salt and pepper and a good slug of chilli oil
- Heat a grill pan to the hottest temperature you can manage
- Grill cut side up for about 2 minutes
- Turn and grill for a further 2 minutes
- Turn once more and grill for a final minute
- Serve with a salad on the side