I stumbled across this recipe on youtube. Nonna (granny) Stella has decided to provide us with a video course on ‘la cucina barese’ – the cuisine of Bari. Each episode shows Nonna explaining a recipe to her grandson. It’s really a pleasure to watch this wonderful old lady in action. Like all the best cooks, Nonna doesn’t give precise measurements. She does it by look and feel. At one point he comments ‘you’re using a lot of oil’ and Nonna replies ‘ that was 3 tablespoons’. All I can say is that they must have big tablespoons in her house🙂
This is my attempt at the recipe.
- 6 eggs
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- 4 courgettes, diced
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tbsp parmesan cheese or grana— grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil (!?!!)
- Fry the courgette, onion and mint in a non stick frying pan until the courgette has changed colour.
- Be careful not to overcook it. (You don’t want mushy courgettes). Season with a little salt.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add the cheese. Mix well.
- When the courgettes are ready, add the eggs to the pan.
- Stir for the first minute or so and then wait for the eggs to start to set, shaking the pan from time to time to keep the frittata loose.
- When the eggs have set, turn the frittata with the aid of a plate, and return it to the pan.
- After another couple of minutes cooking, the frittata is ready