This dish is great as an antipasto or a main course. The octopus is cooked until it is really tender. Try and find ready cleaned and tenderised octopus, you’ll save yourself a lot work. Serve hot or cold.
1 or 2 large octopuses (about 1kg) — cleaned and cut into pieces
500 grams tomatoes — chopped
2 bay leaves
1 shallot — chopped
dry white wine
handful of parsley — chopped
- Fry the shallot and the bay leaves gently in the oil.
- Add the octopus and fry until it is nicely coloured
- Add a good slug of wine and let it reduce to almost nothing
- Add the tomatoes, season and cook over a very low heat until the octopus
is very tender.
- Add the parsley and serve.
Serves 4 as a main course or many more as an antipasto.