This is a real Italian classic. There are a lot of different recipes for vermicelli con le vongole, some using tomatoes and/or chilli, but this one uses neither. The juice from the clams provides the sauce. Serves 4
- 1 kilogram clams — Scrubbed
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic — thinly sliced
- 350 grams vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Discard any clams with broken shells or which are open
- Heat some oil in a saucepan and add the garlic and clams
- Cook until the clams open, about 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and lift out the clam. Discard any that remained closed
- Remove the clams from the shell, saving a few for decoration
- Strain the liquid from the saucepan into a frying pan and add the meat from the clams.
- Cook the vermicelli until al dente, drain and add to the frying pan.
- Cook for a couple minutes, tossing frequently.
- Adjust the seasoning, add the parsley and serve.