Taranto produces some of the best mussels in the world. They are often eaten raw as an antipasto, but I have to say, I prefer them cooked. This simple soup is a great way to have them. Serves 4
- 1kg mussels, cleaned thoroughly
- 300g tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, whole
- 1 chilli, whole
- 4 sprigs parsley, chopped
- Open the mussels by heating them, along with a little oil in a covered pan. Reserve the liquid.
- In a seperate pan, fry the garlic and chilli until the garlic is nicely browned. Remove the garlic and chilli and discard.
- Add the tomatoes to the oil, season with salt and cook over a medium until the tomatoes break down to make a sauce. About 10 minutes.
- Remove the meat from most of the mussels, reserving a few for decoration.
- Add the mussels along, the cooking liquid and the parsley to the tomatoes and heat through.
- Serve with crusty bread or crostini