This soup is another classic Bari dish. If you ask a Barese what their favourite dishes are, they’ll usually mention Pasta e Patate. Serves 4
- 500g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 200g ditali
- 100g polpa di pomodoro or tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 celery heart, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and squashed (but still whole)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Brown the garlic in 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Remove the garlic and discard.
- Add the potatoes and celery and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper
- Add water so that all the ingredients are covered
- Cook until the potatoes are starting to fall apart.
- Half cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water
- Add the pasta to the potato mixture and continue cooking until done.
- If the soup is too thick, add a little of the pasta cooking liquid.