This classic dish is known as spezzatino di manzo in Italian. If you serve it with polenta, it’s a meal in itself. Serves 4
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 600g lean stewing beef, cubed
- 75ml dry white wine
- 200g tomato pulp or passata
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan, add the onion, celery and cook over a low heat, stirring from time to time, for 10 minutes.
- Add the meat and stir-fry until it is browned all over.
- Add the wine and let it reduce until it has almost completely evaporated.
- Add the tomatoes along with 150ml warm water.
- Cover and simmer over a low heat until the meat is tender, 1-2 hours.