Pollo ai funghi. If you don’t have enough dried mushrooms, you can add a few regular white mushrooms to bulk it out. Serves 4
- 150 grams dried mushrooms (preferably wild mushrooms)
- 1 whole chicken cut into portions (or chicken pieces, legs and thighs etc)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 25 grams butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots (or baby onions) — sliced
- 1 glass dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons passata
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Put the mushrooms in a bowl, add hot water to cover and leave to soak for 15 minutes, then drain and squeeze out. Keep the liquid for flavouring soups or stews.
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan. Add the chicken and fry, turning frequently, until browned all over.
- Add the mushrooms and shallots and cook for a few minutes, then add the wine and cook until it has evaporated.
- Add the passata and 3 tablespoons of water and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the chicken is tender. Cooking time will depend on the chicken – it could take up to an hour
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the parsley.