This is my attempt to recreate a dish I had on Sunday at Lama S. Giorgio. Theirs was better, but mine was pretty good too
- 400 grams dried mixed pulses — soaked overnight
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 pancake (English), cut into triangles
- 1 litre homemade stock (no salt added)
- olive oil
- Heat a little olive oli in a saucepan and fry the carrot, onion and celery over a medium until the onion softens – about 5 minutes.
- Drain the pulses and add to the pan. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down low and cook until the beans are tender – 1 – 1.5 hours.
- Just before you are ready to serve, add the pancake triangles and season with salt. Serve with fresh, crusty bread.
- Note: If You don’t have time to make homemade stock, use water. Don’t on any account use stock cubes as the beans will take an age to cook and will not taste anywhere near as nice.