Panzanella Laziale. There are probably as many versions of this dish as there are cooks in Italy. This one comes from Lazio. Panzanella is a great way to use up stale bread.
- 1 kilogram stale bread
- 8 ripe tomatoes — deseed and chopped
- 1 bunch basil — torn into small pieces
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar
- capers (salted or in vinegar) to taste
- anchovies to taste
- Soften the bread with a little water and tear into smallish pieces.
- Mix together the bread, basil, tomatoes, capers and anchovies.
- Dress with olive oil and a little vinegar (if the capers are in vinegar don’t add any extra).
- Leave for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop and serve.
- Variation: Leave the slices of bread whole and serve topped with the rest of the ingredients.