Salsicce al pomodoro. This is a great way to turn the humble banger into something special. Use the best quality sausage you can find – at least 90% meat. This dish is often made with chipolatas and served cold as an antipasto. Serves 4.
- 8 sausages (preferably Italian but any high meat content sausage will do)
- 100 milliliters dry white wine
- 250 milliliters passata
- salt and pepper
- Prick the sausages with a fork, put the in a pan and add 2 tablespoons of water. Cook over a low heat, turning occasionally. When the water has evaporated the sausages will start to fry in their own fat. Continue until they are golden brown.
- Add the wine and cook until it is completely evaporated and the sausages are just starting to fry again.
- Add the passata, season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for around 15 minutes.
- This dish can be cooked with small sausages and served cold as an antipasto.