- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml milk (or half milk half water)
- a few grates of nutmeg (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir quickly with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add add a little of the milk and beat until smooth.
- Continue in this way until all the milk is added.
- Bring to a very low simmer and cook for around 15 minutes, stirring frequently to stop the sauce catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg