Granita di limone. From Sicily. This is a very easy dessert. A granita is similar to a sorbet, but the texture is rougher and more grainy. The quantities are only a guide because it depends on how sweet your lemons are and on how sweet you like your desserts. Feel free to add more sugar or more lemons. As the zest is an important part of this recipe you must use unwaxed lemons.
- 4 large lemons
- 150 g sugar
- 1 l water
- Cut the zest from the lemons. Juice the lemons
- Make a syrup by heating the water and sugar until it starts to boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and zest. Leave to steep for about half an hour.
- Strain into a freezer proof container and place in the freezer. Take it out of the freezer every hour or so and whisk it to break up the larger ice crystals.
- When it is fully frozen it is ready.