A lot of people know the recipe for cotolette alla milanese. This much lighter version comes from Palermo in Sicily. It uses a lot less oil as it is baked, not fried and no egg is used.
- 500 g sliced meat (beef, pork or chicken)
- 300 g breadcrumbs
- 30g capers desalted and chopped
- 50g black olives, stoned and chopped (I only had green available, but it didn’t make too much difference)
- 50g Cacio cavallo , Parmesan or pecorino Romano, grated
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Chopped parsley to taste and/or chopped mint
- 30g chopped almonds (optional)
Prepare the coating by mixing together the breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley,cheese, olives and capers.
Beat the steaks so they are thin and an even thickness. Coat them first in oil, and then the bread mixture.
Place the cutlets on a baking tray that you have first lined with greaseproof paper.
Bake in a preheated oven at 200°c until they are golden brown. About 10 minutes.