Coniglio in fricassea. There are many recipes for rabbit in fricassea but this is the simplest and most straight forward I could find. It’s basically rabbit served with a sauce made from egg yolks and lemon juice. Serves 4.
- 1 medium rabbit — cut into portions, washed and dried with kitchen paper
- 2 egg yolks
- plain flour
- the juice of a Lemon
- 1 whole Chilli – fresh or dried
- olive oil
- 1 knob butter
- Lightly dust the rabbit with flour.
- Fry the pieces in a little olive oil to which you’ve added the knob of butter.
- When the rabbit is nicely coloured, season with salt, add a ladle of water and cook over a low heat for around an hour and a half. If it looks like drying out, add a little more water.
- When the rabbit is done remove to a serving plate and keep warm.
- Beat the egg yolks together with the lemon juice and add the mixture to the cooking liquid left in the pan. Stir rapidly until you have a smooth sauce.
- Top the pieces of rabbit with the sauce and serve.