Lagane con pure di fave. From Puglia. This is another example of la cucina povera or peasant food. It uses very frugal ingredients but the results are delicious. These dishes have enjoyed a bit of a renaissance recently in Italy. Rightly so in my opinion. Serves 5
- 500 grams tagliatelle (preferably fresh) (known locally as lagane)
- 250 grams dried, skinned broad beans — soaked overnight
- 50 grams onion — thinly sliced
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- Put the beans into a saucepan and cover with twice the depth of water. Add salt (the original recipe called for a tablespoon!) and cook over a medium heat, without stirring, until the beans are very soft. Mash with a wooden spoon.
- Fry the onion in plenty of olive oil until they are starting to caramelize.
- Cook the tagliatelle al dente, drain and mix with the puree.
- Transfer to a serving dish, pour over the onions and their cooking oil and serve immediately.