Risotto al Vino Rosso. You need to use a good, full bodied red wine – the best you can afford. The basic rule applies. If you wouldn’t drink it, don’t cook with it🙂 I used a Primitivo di Maduria , but next time I’m flush, I’ll try it with a Barolo.
- 400g risotto rice
- 2 glasses full bodied red wine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- About 1 1/2 litres vegetable sock
- 40g parmesan, grated
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fry the onion in the olive oil until they start to become transparent.
- Add the rice and stir for few moments.
- Add the red wine and cook over a medium heat, stirring all the time, until the wine has been absorbed.
- Add a ladle of hot stock and continue cooking as per the standard risotto recipe.
- When the rice is cooked al dente , remove from the heat, season and stir in the butter and parmesan.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes before serving.